An Interesting Visitor

Today, I had a very interesting visitor. It flew out of a pile of folded laundry on the couch when my husband picked up a shirt for our oldest daughter. He didn't know what it was at first, so he swatted at it. What we found was a stunned dragonfly on the floor. Where it came from, I have absolutely no idea. I've always had the impression that they like to live near sources of water such as ponds but perhaps I'm mistaken in this? The closest big bodies of water are several blocks away, in either direction so this little one was far from home. It lay dazed for quite some time, and I was beginning to fear it was dead when it finally started fluttering it's wings. Carey did feel bad when we realized that one of it's legs had been broken. I picked it up on a piece of paper and then gently put it in one of my big plant containers outside to let it rest and recuperate. Although my husband and I were both still standing there when it flew off, neither of us heard or saw it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dragonfly,

It's wings beat rhythmically,

To a never ending pulse.

A dash of colored light,

A shimmer of blue and gold.

Hovering above my head,

Like one of the brilliant stars,

A glowing jewel of life.

This poem was found at The Dragonfly Garden.

No comments: