Red Scarf Project

OFA’s Red Scarf Project – Guidelines, 2007

Love to knit, crochet or know someone who does?

Send warmth and encouragement to America’s college-bound foster youth. OFA needs thousands of handmade scarves to put in our Valentine Care Packages to these parentless youth attending college on their own. Your handiwork will truly be the personal touch in these packages and bring students the encouragement they need to move forward and graduate to a brighter future. For over 25 years, OFA has provided funding and family-like support to foster youth in transition.

I just found out about this today, thanks to Jamin, and I'm so there. I was just given a huge 33 gallon garbage bag slightly more than half full of yarn. Score! I posted on my local Freecycle wanting some yarn to augment my stash, but never in my wildest dreams did I expect this much. A full time student's salary doesn't allow one to buy much yarn so this is a huge blessing. There are a few yarns that I have my eye on for a couple of scarves so I'm going to knit up some swatches to see how they do. I also have my eye on this Condo Knit Scarf. The technique looks interesting, they knit up quickly (a bonus in this household), and it will give me the chance to use my size 19? (no, I'm not positive what size they are, my gage stops at 16 and these are just barely too big) needles. That just makes it more fun. The cool thing is, if the scarf(ves) for this project turns out, I'll make a few for Christmas gifts to stash for my Holiday Headstart KA.

No comments: